Thursday, October 25, 2007

Guatemala Living

We have been here in Guatemala for just over one month now. We are all adjusting well. It has taken some time for it to sink in that we are not going back home in a few days! Danny and I both have felt like we were on a long vacation or a short term Missions trip. As time goes by reality is setting in that we will be here for a while. We love the people, the food and the scenery. There is no other place we would rather be than right here. If only we could have all our friends & family here too!! The other day Chloe Ann said "Mama do you still remember all our other friends in the other world we used to live in and do they remember me?" I scooped her up and said I do and of course they do too.

We have all had a little culture shock but the funniest (not at the time) was bucks. They shoot fireworks off at all hours of the day & night. Needless to say Buck does not like the noise, he got a little nervous and decided to chew on the garage door!!!
Last week-end we were able to go to Santiago for a visit. It was great to take the kids back, they did not really remember much about last time they were there. As we caught the boat to cross the lake Isaac did remember that Chloe Ann had dropped her passy in the lake, and wondered if it might still be at the bottom.

We went by the Church and the pastor was finishing up a Wedding. It was nice to see him and personally tell him we were here. we stayed the night in Santiago and went to Market the next morning. We all have to get used to people staring. Danny & I can pretty much ignore the stares but it is hard for the kids. Titus gets more frustrated than the rest, but he does fine. Everyone loves babies here. Poor Naomi has to put up with the cheek pinching, hair rubbing, leg squeezing ect... I try to remind the kids some of these people may have never seen a family like ours before.

The kids loved the hammock at the hotel in Santiago.
While we were at Market we saw some really cool things. There was a man selling fresh water crabs from the lake. He had tied them up on sticks with leaves!
We also saw a man building furniture right there in the middle of everything. All the other men just stood around and watched. Notice the men in their typical wear.
We loved the boat ride to and from Santiago. It is so amazing to see the Beautiful Mountains, the view is gorgeous everywhere you look. I felt so small in the middle of the lake in a tiny boat with the mountains all around us. To think out of this whole world this is where the lord wants us to be. I feel honored and humbled at the same time that God has lead us to this wonderful place. My prayer is that we would be Salt & Light to the T'zutujil people.







12 comments:

Rachel Garcia, CD(DONA) said...

I am so glad to see you with a blog! and how exciting that you guys are already in Guatemala! I can't imagine the reality of this being our new home. But that is great. I am so glad for your willingness to serve Christ in this way. So do you buy a house or rent?? I wonder these things.. and hopefully you will have Sarah and Jerry there soon.

Daphne said...

We have to rent the first term(4 yrs). After that we could buy a house.
We cannot wait for Jerry & Sarah to come. We wish they were here with us now.

Graced said...

Yea! I found the Foote's. I did it, I did it, I did it...

Um, I mean, you did it.

I am so glad to "see" you, here. I have been thinking about you all a lot!

Abbey said...

I wish I could come have lunch with you today... I would enjoy a nice crab on a stick. Mmmmm!!

By the way, that picture of your kids is so good! They are such cuties...specially that lil fatty in the middle!!

Sure is nice to see Titus taking care of our dog for us! Hee Hee...

allison said...

GORGEOUS pics!! Having started a blog, I was hoping you would soon!! Did I mention GORGEOUS pics? family, scenery, everything-

allison said...

BTW, did you notice we have the same background - copycat! hee,hee

Alf Nelson said...

The only question is whether the picture of the kids is a real picture or some photo-shopped impostor composed by one Daphne Foote.

Daphne said...

Alf, You make me laugh. Yes it is an original, no photoshop, no impostor. I have only done that once and I guess I will never live it down. Two weeks ago I got the kids together, sat them how I tried to take a good picture to send to grandparents. After about 12 pics I said forget it today is not the day for pictures. The next day we were at the Lake the kids were actually swinging(in motion) and I took this one. You never know. My philosohpy is If you take a lot of pictures you are bound to have some turn out good!

Kim said...

I'm so glad I found you! Your new baby girl is gorgeous! It will be nice to keep in touch with you this way.

Daphne said...

Thank you all so much for the comments. I love hearing from all of you and cannot wait to keep up with you.

Michelle said...

YAY! I am so glad you have a blog. The pictures ARE beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hey Danny and Daphne! Its Matt. I uploaded the video on vimeo so you can embed the video on your blog or where ever else.. I miss you guys! I will see you again one day! Hopefully sooner than later.
http://vimeo.com/3053989