Friday, November 28, 2008

A very "Happy" Thanksgiving

Last year Thanksgiving was a hard day for me. I shed more tears than was Thankful. I tried to hide it from my little family. Then I just broke down and had to admit I was lonely and missed "HOME". I had comforted my kids during their times of missing home, and I felt like I was letting them down by being sad. Danny reminded us that we were all in this together, They all hugged me and loved me. It was just what I needed. All in all I have to say it was a hard day.

This year as Thanksgiving got closer I was excited, but wanted it to be much happier than last year. We invited some friends from Tectitan. We met them through our sending church in LA. We had not seen them since we had been in the states. It was great to get to know them more and meet their sweet kids.

I've never had to cook Thanksgiving dinner. I was a bit nervous about actually having to cook the WHOLE meal!! I called my Mom for a couple of recipes and my mother in law for a couple others. You have to keep in mind I don't have a grocery store within an hour and a half of me. Even then there is no guarantee that they are going to have what I need. So I went to market and got potatoes, and fresh green beans, a chicken and ran by the tienda(you walk in the door and tell them what you want then if they have it they go in the back to get it) to get Maseca(corn meal they make tortillas with) for my corn bread.

We had Turkey, Corn bread dressing, green beans, mashed potatoes with gravy, celery with cream cheese, I even found a can of cranberries when we were in the capitol last time!! Kathy made sweet potatoes and a delicious pumpkin pie. I managed to snap this picture before we all dug in. We had quite a feast and everyone was very pleased with the meal. Danny said the dressing may be better than his Mama's (it was her recipe). It was great to have friends here with us in our new HOME. It was a very Happy Thanksgiving.

After Dinner we went out in the garden and down by the lake. The kids enjoyed playing with the coco the rabbit next door. We were thankful for friends, family and for the opportunity God has given us to come work with the people of Santiago. I thank the Lord for loving me and carrying me when I need to be, and for rejoicing with me in times of joy. All in all this year was filled with joy, laughter and especially thankfulness.
Well, I cannot download the pics, I will have to owe them to you.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

So glad you guys had a great day! I was wondering if you guys had celebrated Thanksgiving last year. It is wonderful that you were able to invite friends over and have yummy cornbread stuffing and pumpkin pie! We had a good day. We stayed here and I cooked and my mom came over. My dad and brothers always go hunting Thanksgiving day. We are decorating for Christmas tonight. Do you guys have a tree? I hear they have simple fake ones at Paiz. :)

allison said...

Im glad it was a good day. Feelings well up inside me when you talk about the true reality of being so far away. Im also proud of you for making all you did. I know it is alot of work. Would Wanda share her recipe with blog world?! Super excited for you to get to come to the states at xmas (wether I get to see or not) Im excited.