Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Driving in Antigua

Well I just thought I would enlighten you on my driving obstacles here in good 'ol Antigua. It is absolutely Gorgeous. Everywhere I look I want to take a picture. But the pictures don't even do it justice.
This is the famous arch in town. With Volcano Agua behind it. Actually we live at the base of this Volcano.
All the buildings are so bright and colorful.
This is the catholic church at Central square. it is absolutely beautiful! As you drive through town you see ladies washing their clothes in the community pila (concrete washtubs?) usually located at the end of a park. I am very thankful Danny bought me a washer when we got here.


I don't pride myself in being an excellent driver but I still cannot believe I drive through these things. There are concrete obstacles you have to drive through to get in town. To keep out big buses and trucks. I asked Danny if maybe we were considered too big to go in town? He said "We fit don't we." It took me several months to get up the nerve to go through them, I found a route that went around. One day I went too far and HAD to go through. Isaac was in the front seat and said "Don't worry Mom, I'll guide you through". Sure thing I said (then thought my SEVEN year old is guiding me through. yikes!!). I said a quick prayer, lined it up, and drove through.


I just want to let everyone know I have NOT hit a concrete obstacle with the truck, only the tire oops.

One day after I dropped the kids off at school I was driving through the concrete things and jumped out to take a picture. Yes the lady walking down the street thought I was a crazy gringa 'Oh well.


Just thought you guys would love to see me drive through Antigua.

4 comments:

Abbey said...

Oh it IS beautiful! And I thought your home town of NOLA had gorgeous architecture!

I love that you hit the concrete post with your truck tire. Tell Danny to let me come there with my mini van. I'll back right into one of those suckers. I hit Matt's truck in my own driveway, why not one of those? I'm proud of you girl. You ARE a good driver!! Hee Hee.

Anonymous said...

I so appreciate you sharing your lives with us back in the states.Our prayers go with you.

Miss Melissa

allison said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences and beautiful pictures.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.