Monday, November 12, 2007

Guatemalan "thrift store"

We found the "thrift store" it is called the "paca" or "ropa americana". I found four long sleeve shirts for the kids and a nice fleece for Naomi and some new shoes for Chloe Ann. This is all stuff from the states! I asked one of the vendors he said they buy up there and bring it down here to sell. There was Gap, Polo, Old Navy, anything I would find at a thrift store in the states. What a business.

Let me tell you going to the thrift store in a third world country is very different. Its outside underneath a huge roof, kind of like the French market. There were probably 200 vendors. All the vendors yell the whole time you are in there. "everything is cheap" "come see what I have" "everything in my shop is 10 quetzales" "Stick your hand in and see what you pull out" "C'mon' C'mon C'mon in". It was hilarious. Naomi got a little nervous so Danny took her and the kids out then I could really concentrate on digging in.

Thanks Graced for your offer you are so thoughtful, but I found the thrift store!! YEA
Abbey the thrift store feeling definitely is universal but not to worry we had our germ-X!!! :)

Sorry guys I could not figure out how to flip the video around. Anyone else know how? At least you guys get the idea.

4 comments:

Graced said...

I am so glad! There is nothing like a great buy!

Jennifer said...

That is great! I'm so glad you found it, but we'll be glad to ship a load of stuff if you ever need it!

Daphne said...

Thanks Jennifer I will keep that in mind if I can't find what I need.

Heather said...

Hello, hello, glad that there are some fun places for you to check out down there. I hope to find some things like that down here in Mexico too. First I should concentrate on finding a place to unpack our suitcases...love ya, glad that adjustments are going well.